A Lagos-based lawyer, Lawrence Nnoli, says he is withdrawing a suit he filed in July against the President Muhammadu Buhari over the delay in the appointment of more Supreme Court Justices.
The lawyer said the suit, which had been scheduled for hearing on October 6 at the Federal High Court in Lagos, would no longer be necessary as the Senate had on Tuesday confirmed the receipt of a letter from Buhari, seeking approval for the appointment of eight Justices to the Supreme Court.
Nnoli said in the light of the development, his suit against Buhari had become academic and he would accordingly withdraw it.
If Buhari gets the Senate approval, the number of Supreme Court Justices will rise to 20 from the current 12.
Though the Nigerian Constitution provides for 21 Justices at the Supreme Court, the number had over the years dwindled down, following successive retirement of the apex court Justices without corresponding replacement.
In his suit before Justice Mohammed Liman, Nnoli had contended that Buhari’s failure to appoint more Supreme Court Justice was a serious breach of Section 231(2) of the 1999 Constitution and poses a grave danger to the course of justice in Nigeria.
But in a statement on Wednesday, titled, ‘Notice to the Public/Update’, Nnoli said when he gets to court on October 6, he would be applying to withdraw the suit.