Welcome to Law Reporters roundup of the top 10 headlines for today Wednesday, October 28th, 2020
1. Court orders NURTW to conduct fresh election latest Nov. 30
Delivering the Judgment, the presiding Judge, Justice Kenneth Amadi held that any level of school certificate is okay for anyone to contest for the chairmanship position of the union.
2. Court orders Atiku to hand over custody of children to divorced wife
Delivering judgment in the matter, the judge, Bashir Danmaisule, said the defendant could not establish any default against the claimant to deprive her of her children under Islamic law.
3. #EndSARS: Ex-PDP lawmaker, four others arraigned for alleged arson
A former House of Assembly member, Dayo Akinleye and four others, Afolabi Ariyo, James David, Ajimoko Busola and Oyin Filani appeared before an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrate Court over alleged involvement in the burning of properties in the State during the #EndSars protest.
4. #EndSARS: 71 arraigned for alleged looting of malls, warehouse in Kwara
The suspects were arraigned in court for allegedly attacking the state Agro Mall and Cargo Terminal in Ilorin, the state capital and carted away COVID-19 palliative materials.
5. Supreme Court dismisses Bayelsa suit against Rivers on Soku oilfield
The court said Bayelsa was liable to abuse of court processes by asking it to make judicial pronouncements on a matter that the Court of Appeal had yet to adjudicate on.
6. Alleged Fraud: Court further adjourns trial of Akinjide, others, until Dec 8
Jumoke Akinjide was charged by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), along with a former Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Ayo Adeseun, and a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain, Olarenwaju Otiti.
7. FG declares Thursday, Oct. 29 as Eid Maolud public holiday
Announcing the public holiday, Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, congratulated Muslim faithful for witnessing this year’s occasion and enjoined Nigerians to abhor violence, lawlessness, wantonness and daylight robbery as witnessed across the country most recently.
8. Buhari reappoints INEC chairman for second term
9. Sanwo-Olu approves full reopening of markets in Lagos
The Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Wale Ahmed, in a statement on Tuesday said the Governor took the decision to further enhance trade and commerce and mitigate the hardship of recent times and ensure that residents can recover fast.
10. UK Govt Demands Investigation By Judicial Panels Into Lekki Shooting
The High Commission tweeted, “We remain concerned by acts of looting & violence in Flag of Nigeria & urge security services use restraint as order is restored.