Welcome to Law Reporters roundup of the top 10 headlines for today Thursday, October 8th, 2020.
1. WTO: Okonjo-Iweala advances to final stage
2. Port Harcourt-Maiduguri Railway Approved For Rehabilitation By FEC
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved the award of contracts for the rehabilitation and reconstruction of the Port Harcourt-Maiduguri eastern narrow-gauge railway, with new branch lines and trans-shipment facilities.
3. Edo: ADP, candidate ask tribunal to declare election result null and void
The Action Democratic Party (ADP) and its candidate, Iboi Lucky Emmanuel has asked the Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Benin City, the State capital, to sack Governor Godwin Obaseki.
4. US arbitration tribunal frees Nigeria of $1.5bn liability, says Malami
The International Centre for Settlement of Investment Dispute in the United States of America has relieved Nigeria of a $1.5bn liability in connection with a contract agreement involving two oil firms, the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), said in a statement on Wednesday.
5. Industrial Court orders FUTA to allow staff participation in appointment of Director, bars handpicking
The Court also ordered the institution to allow qualified members of the NASU, SSANU in the Industrial Training Unit to participate in the appointment process, to apply and be interviewed for the appointment of the Unit Director.
6. Budget Presentation: Senate Asks Buhari To Reduce His Entourage, Says Others Can Join Virtually
Ahead of the Thursday 2021 Budget presentation, Ahmad Lawan the President of the Nigerian Senate has directed President Muhammadu Buhari to visit the National assembly with only members of his entourage that are fully involved in the budget preparation
7. Kaduna: Zazzau Has A New Emir
The installation of Bamali as the new emir was disclosed on Wednesday by the Kaduna Commissioner for Local Government Affairs, Ja’afaru Sani
8. Four ex-bankers arraigned over N14.2million fraud
The judge ordered that the defendant be remanded in Ile-Ife correctional center pending the perfection of his bail, and adjourned the case to November 3, 2020, for trial.
9. Woman in court for defrauding firm of N384,000
The Ekiti State Police Command has arraigned a 25-year-old woman, Adenike Olofin, before an Ado Ekiti Chief Magistrate Court for an alleged fraud of N384,000.
10. Wadume’s trial to resume Oct 13
The trial of the Taraba State suspected kidnap kingpin, Hamisu Bala, otherwise known as Wadume, will resume at the Federal High Court in Abuja on October 13.