Welcome to Law Reporters roundup of the top 10 headlines for today Thursday day, October 15th, 2020
1. Court orders IGP, DPO to grant bail to man detained for 44 days
The High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in Apo, Abuja, has ordered the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, and the Divisional Police Officer in A.Y.A, Abuja, to grant bail on liberal terms to a man, Yakubu Akuki, who has been detained for about 44 days.
2. Reps to inaugurate constitution review committee Oct 25
The House of Representatives’ Special Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution will be inaugurated on October 25, 2020.
3. FG flags off initiative to end insecurity
The Federal Government of Nigeria has flagged-off a stakeholders’ engagement on internal security and conflict resolution as part of efforts to bring an end to security challenges across the country.
4. Appeal Court faults Police Act 2020 on PSC’s mandate to recruit
The Court of Appeal has declared the Police Act 2020, enacted in September 2020 as it affects the mandate of the Police Service Commission (PSC) as unconstitutional and void.
5. Court fixes Nov 18 to rule on Mompha’s no-case submission
The Federal High Court in Lagos has fixed November 18, 2020, to rule on the no-case submission filed by Internet personality, Ismaila Mustapha, alias Mompha, who is facing money laundering charges.
6. Buhari creates new agency, unbundles EFCC, ICPC
President Muhammadu Buhari has created a new agency called Proceeds of Crime Recovery and Management Agency.
7. Ortom’s N10bn Suit: Oshiomhole pleads for out-of-court settlement
A former National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Adams Oshiomole, on Tuesday, sought for an out-of-court settlement in the N10bn libel suit instituted against him by Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom.
8. NBA demands audit of SARS detention centres
The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) on Tuesday urged the Federal Government to show sincerity in its disbanding of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) by throwing all of its detention centres open.
9. Senate probes Lagos gas explosions, makes case for victims
The Senate on Wednesday, directed its Committees on Petroleum Downstream and Gas Resources to investigate the recent gas explosions in Lagos State.
10. Reps to consider PIB next week
The House of Representatives has slated the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) 2020 for second reading on Tuesday next week.