Welcome to Law Reporters roundup of the top 10 headlines for today Saturday, October 10th, 2020.
1. COVID-19 Violation: Funke Akindele, husband get state pardon
The Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has granted state pardon to popular Nollywood actress, Funke Akindele, and her husband, Abdulrasheed Bello, who were convicted and sentenced to community service for holding a crowded house birthday party in April in breach of government’s COVID-19 prevention protocols.
2. Court sentences Rivers serial killer to death by hanging
After about six months of trial, a High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, on Friday, sentenced Gracious David-West, a serial killer, to death by hanging.
3. Appeal Court president constitutes Ondo election tribunal
The President Court of Appeal, Justice Monica Dongban-Mensem, has constituted the Ondo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal.
4. Teenager gets 10-years’ jail term for raping minor
An Ekiti State High Court sitting in Ado Ekiti has sentenced an 18-year-old man, Emeka Emmanuel, to 10 years imprisonment without an option of fine for raping a seven-year-old girl
5. Man bags 9months imprisonment over internet fraud
A Special Offences Court, sitting in Ikeja, has sentenced one Kehinde Adelakun to nine months imprisonment over his involvement in internet fraud among others, an action said to have contravened Section 318 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State.
6. Court sentences oil dealer over license infraction
A Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State has sentenced one Isa Adamu to one-year imprisonment for dealing in petroleum products without obtaining the required license.
7. Alleged N11.67m Disappearance: Finance Director, 8 others arraigned
Niger State House of Assembly Director of Finance, Ibrahim Musa and eight other staff of the accounts department have been arraigned before the Chief Magistrate Court 1 in Minna over an alleged theft of N11,670,000 from the director’s office.
8. Court remands man for allegedly insulting Gombe lawmaker on Facebook
A 25-year-old man, Khalid Abdallah, has been remanded in prison by the Chief Magistrate Court in Gombe State for allegedly abusing a lawmaker on Facebook.
9. Election: Police restrict vehicular movement in Ondo
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has ordered the restriction of vehicular movement from 11.59 p.m. on Friday, October 9, to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 10 in Ondo State.
10. Lagos Assembly commences investigation into gas explosions
Lagos House of Assembly has directed its Committee on Special Duties to invite concerned stakeholders and agencies with a view to finding a lasting solution to an incessant gas explosion in the state.