Welcome to Law Reporters roundup of the top 10 headlines for today Monday, October 12th, 2020.
1. IGP bows to pressure, dissolve SARS
The Inspector-General of Police Mohammed Adamu has dissolved the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Nigeria Police across all formations in the 36 State Police Commands and the Federal Capital Territory.
2. Akeredolu wins Ondo Guber election
3. [#ENDSARS]: “As a patriot who firmly believes in the rule of law, I can no longer sit back and watch” – Saraki to Buhari
“It is not a time for prevarication but for us to get on with things. Show our young people that we have listened and they are right – and seize the #EndSARS/ #EndPoliceBrutality as the opportunity to totally overhaul the police to enable them to do a better job for the benefit of us all.”
4. SARS: ‘Nigeria Police Were Shooting At Me, But I Refused To Cower’ – Aisha Yesufu
According to Yesufu, security personnel in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) fired tear gas at demonstrators to disperse them, but she was glad she “gave them a piece of what I thought of their pathetic selves”.
6. Court remands man for allegedly insulting Gombe lawmaker on Facebook
A 25-year-old man, Khalid Abdallah, has been remanded in prison by the Chief Magistrate Court in Gombe State for allegedly abusing a lawmaker on Facebook.
7. Court sentences Rivers serial killer to death by hanging
After about six months of trial, a High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, on Friday, sentenced Gracious David-West, a serial killer, to death by hanging.
8. Man appears in court for allegedly stealing car seat
An applicant, Kenne Isah, appeared in a Zuba Upper Area Court, Abuja on Thursday for allegedly stealing car seats, valued at N300, 000.
9. Choir Boys Abuse: Priests to face trial in Vatican
An Italian priest accused of sexually abusing choir boys in a seminary and another priest who allegedly facilitated the abuse will go on trial in the Vatican next week
10. Trump declares himself set for rallies
Donald Trump insisted on Thursday he was ready to resume campaign rallies and felt perfect only one week after his Covid-19 diagnosis, as his doctor said the president had completed his course of therapy for the disease.