Welcome to Law Reporters roundup of the top 10 headlines for today Friday, October 9th, 2020.
1. Buhari presents N13 trillion 2021 budget to National Assembly
The N13 trillion proposal, tagged: Budget of Economic Recovery and Resilience, is aimed at pulling the country back from economic downturn occasioned by coronavirus and oil price slump.
2. Abbo appeals N50m judgement, says offence ‘simple assault
The lawmaker has filed a notice of appeal, insisting that the facts of the case disclosed an “alleged tort of simple assault” and not torture or inhuman treatment, hence the fundamental rights procure was an inappropriate means of seeking redress.
3. 2021 Budget: National Assembly gets N128bn
President Muhammadu Buhari has said the National Assembly will be funded with N128 billion in 2021
4. WTO Election: Okonjo-Iweala Makes History As She Makes Final Two List
Okonjo-Iweala was heavily backed by many nationalities, including representatives of the European Union. She made it to the final cut with South Korea’s Yoo Myung-hee. Both had initially started with six other candidates vying for the WTO DG position.
5. Magistrates have no power to freeze bank accounts, says Court
_The Federal High Court in Abuja has declared that magistrate courts lacked the power to issue an order freezing bank accounts.
6. Man remanded for allegedly robbing woman of handbag containing N100, Bible
An Ikeja High Court has remanded a 22-year-old man, Elijah Anyasador, in the correctional centre for allegedly robbing a woman returning from church of her handbag containing N100 and a copy of the Holy Bible.
7. Four docked for N38.5m contract scam
The Lagos zonal office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned one Joseph Nworhabiko, aka Joseph Azunda, and three others before Justice Mojisola Dada of the Lagos State High Court, Ikeja, for fraud
8. Court remands barber for allegedly defiling 6-year-old boy
Justice Peter Kekemeke of an FCT High Court sitting in Nyanya on Thursday remanded a barber, Mohammed Sani, for allegedly defiling a six-year-old boy.
9. UNILAG announces post UTME date, Starts Registration Oct. 19
The University of Lagos is to hold its 2020 post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) test for two weeks, beginning from Nov. 18, an official has said.
10. Ronaldo to face legal action over COVID-19
Cristiano Ronaldo and other top Juventus players could face legal action for re-joining their national teams despite coronavirus rules after two positive cases at the Italian champions.