fbpx

info@lawreporterslive.com

28 C
Abuja
Thursday, April 22, 2021

LASG denies involvement in Lekki tollgate shooting

Must read

Court temporarily halts re-trial of Orji Uzor Kalu over alleged N17.1bn fraud

A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the re-arraignment of former Abia State Governor, Orji Uzor Kalu in an alleged N7.1bn money-laundering charges...

Ayade swears in Justice Akon Ikpeme as Cross River Chief Judge

Twice rejected by the State House of Assembly for being a security threat Justice Akon Bassey Ikpeme was on Monday sworn-in by Cross River...

Court orders forfeiture of Yari’s N284m to FG

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday ordered a final forfeiture of about N284, 306, 294.04 linked to a former governor of Zamfara,...

Court reverses dismissal of 3 police officers, orders recall

Justice Elizabeth Oji of the Lagos Judicial division of the National Industrial Court has nullified the purported dismissal of Mufutau Olaosun, Temitope Adebayo, and...

The Lagos State Government has denied deploying military officers to attack protesters agitating for Nigerian Police reform and end to bad governance at Lekki tollgate, Eti-Osa Local Government, just as the government ordered for a full investigation into the action in the state.

This came barely an hour after activities at the tollgate was halted when military men stormed the scene and allegedly shot directly at hundreds of demonstrators, leaving over five persons dead and dozens of others injured.

The state’s commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had directed security agencies not to arrest anyone despite the 24-hours curfew introduced across the state and that the state could not have ordered extra-judicial killings of peaceful protesters as being rumoured on social media platforms.

Through a statement made available to The Guild, Omotoso said that the curfew had been introduced to curb incidencies of violence by hoodlums who had hijacked the protest and that the intent was not to kill innocent citizens as being seen in several video clips online.

According to him, the state government has ordered an investigation into the incident and anyone found culpable will be arrested and promptly prosecuted.

“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has advised the security agents not to arrest anyone on account of the curfew, which he urges residents to observe for the peaceful atmosphere we all cherish.

“He advises Lagosians to remain calm and not allow criminals, who have hijacked the noble protest of our gallant youths, to succeed in their evil plan of turning our dear State upside down.

“The Governor will do everything within his power to ensure that the lives of all Lagosians are protected at all times,” the statement said.

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Court temporarily halts re-trial of Orji Uzor Kalu over alleged N17.1bn fraud

A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the re-arraignment of former Abia State Governor, Orji Uzor Kalu in an alleged N7.1bn money-laundering charges...

Ayade swears in Justice Akon Ikpeme as Cross River Chief Judge

Twice rejected by the State House of Assembly for being a security threat Justice Akon Bassey Ikpeme was on Monday sworn-in by Cross River...

Court orders forfeiture of Yari’s N284m to FG

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday ordered a final forfeiture of about N284, 306, 294.04 linked to a former governor of Zamfara,...

Court reverses dismissal of 3 police officers, orders recall

Justice Elizabeth Oji of the Lagos Judicial division of the National Industrial Court has nullified the purported dismissal of Mufutau Olaosun, Temitope Adebayo, and...

Court acquits lawyer of stealing N50.2m from Domino Stores

An Ikeja High Court on Wednesday acquitted a lawyer, Yetunde Sousa, accused of stealing N50.2Million from Dominos Stores and Ozone Cinemas. Delivering judgment, Justice Raliat...